Thursday, January 7, 2010

Meeting Dr. H

Blizzard last night made an 8am meeting with Dr. Holzbeierlein a bit of challange! Okay, I met Dr. H and was very impressed.  I am committed to winning and keeping my sense of humor with this along the way. Cancer, smancher. Here's what I found out:
  • The name of my cancer is Myxoid Leiomyosarcoma
  • It is rare. There are only 18 documented cases of it and I'm only the second person to have it in the bladder
  • The only treatment for this type of sarcoma is surgery
  • The tumor is at the base of my bladder and aggressive
  • The bladder, prostate and surrounding lymph nodes must be removed
  • The good doctor will harvest 18 inches of my small intestine and create a new bladder, called a "neobladder" which will function as a normal bladder (so I won't have a urostomy)
  • Check out a video of the making of a neobladder: www.kumedurology.com/uro_oncology.asp#bladder
  • Dr. H is very confident that this will eliminate all of the cancer
  • Once removed, there is an 85 - 90% likelihood that it won't return
  • As a precaution, I will have a full bone scan and CT scan of my lungs next Monday (Jan. 11)
  • Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, January 19, 2010
  • I will be in the hospital for 7 days
  • I'll be laid up for 6 weeks total
  • I'll lose 20-25 pounds. Score!
  • I will have tubes, lots tubes coming out and going into my body for 2 weeks
  • These tubes include all men's dream... the lovely catheter
  • After 3 weeks I will be tube free and they will "activate" the neobladder
  • This is a major surgery -- ranking up there with the most serious they perform. It should take 4 to 5 hours to complete
There is a long road to travel here and arriving at normalcy will take some months, but I'm looking forward to being cancer-free and getting on the road to recovery.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I'm betting the hospital might have a different view of things. How about if I just drink a vodka for you? I'll drink several if you need them.

    ReplyDelete