Tuesday, February 2, 2010

First week home

I've been home since January 25. It's been two weeks since the surgery. Vast improvements have taken place:
  • Intestines began calming down at the end of week one - about 10 days after surgery. No more cramps, gas pains or soreness.
  • Appetite has been slow to return, but the taste for food is okay. In other words, I enjoy food, but eat in much smaller proportions. To date, I'm down 20 pounds and still losing 2 lbs per day. No complaints.
  • Bowel movements are regular and normal as of day 11 after surgery.
  • The catheters are still bothesome. Not necessarily painful, just a bother. They are scheduled to be reomoved this Friday - February 5th!
  • My neobladder will be "activated" on Friday too. This will be awesome as I will be "free" of both catheters.
  • I'm looking forward to be able to sleep in any other position rather than flat on my back like I have to do now.
  • There is still tenderness at the incision site and it hurts to cough or sneeze... but I grab a pillow and hold it tight to the gut and it's bearable. 
  • I'm planning on going back to work next Monday - at least for a few hours each day. Sitting around the house (although I know it's necessary for healing) is b-o-r-i-n-g!
  • My strength is nearly all back... if it were a bit warmer outside, I'd rather enjoy walking in the yard or around the neighborhood.
We've received much support - kind words, offers of prayer, food, company and encouragement from family and friends. We are grateful for all of you.

More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment